Quick Avgolemono, Orzo and Chicken Soup
- 6 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Bring broth and dill to a boil in a large saucepan. Add orzo. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until orzo is slightly tender. Remove from heat.
- Place eggs and juice in a blender; process until smooth. Remove 1 cup broth from pan with a ladle, making sure to leave out orzo. With blender on, slowly add broth; process until smooth.
- Add carrot, salt, pepper, and chicken to pan. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, and cook 5 minutes or until chicken and orzo are done. Reduce heat to low. Slowly stir in egg mixture; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly (do not boil).
RICOTTA GARLIC PITA WEDGES
Preheat broiler. Combine 1/3 cup part-skim ricotta cheese, 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, and 1 minced garlic clove in a small bowl. Place 8 pita wedges on a baking sheet; broil 2 minutes until toasted. Top each wedge with 4 teaspoons ricotta mixture. Broil 1 minute or until cheese is lightly browned.