I would suggest reducing the baking time by about 5 minutes because the bottom got a little over-cooked and really stuck to the baking pans. I had to resort to freezing the cakes and, basically, scraping them out of the pans.
Coconut Flour Cake
Prep time: 20 minsCook time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hour 5 mins
Serves: 1 cake, about 8 servings
Dense, moist, and rich with coconut flavor, coconut flour cake is a remarkable treat. While both its texture and flavor is reminiscent of classic yellow cake, it's considerably more nourishing thanks to the nutrient profile of both coconut flour and fresh pastured eggs. We serve coconut flour cake for birthdays and special occasions.
For the Cake:
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups coconut milk
- up to ¾ cup honey (I used 1/2 cup honey)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (I used 3 tsp vanilla extract)
- ½ tsp coconut extract (I did not use this)
- ½ tsp orange extract (I did not use this)
- 2 cups coconut flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking soda (added by me)
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut Palm Sugar
- ¼ tsp unrefined sea salt
- coconut oil, for greasing the pan
For the Frosting:
- 2 cups coconut spread (I used 2 cups butter)
- ½ cup virgin coconut oil
- up to ⅓ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (used 2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1 tsp coconut extract (I did not use this)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Beat a dozen eggs, two cups coconut milk and up to three-quarters of a cup of honey together with vanilla, coconut and orange extracts until smooth, creamy and uniform in both color and texture.
- Dump two cups coconut flour, a half-teaspoon baking soda and a quarter teaspoon unrefined sea salt into the mixture of eggs, honey and extracts, and continue to beat until a smooth batter forms.
- Grease and flour two eight-inch cake tins. (Make sure you grease pans very well.)
- Pour, or spoon, the cake batter into the greased and floured tins, shaking them to even out the batter and smoothing it with the back of a spoon or with a rubber spatula.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 35-40 minutes, or until the cake separates from the sides of the tin and a toothpick inserted into the cake's center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before removing from the tin and frosting with the coconut frosting below.
- Beat all ingredients for the frosting together until thoroughly combined.
- Refrigerate the frosting for five to ten minutes so that it stiffens a bit.
- Remove from the refrigerator, beat for about one minute.
- Frost your cake.
Recipe by Nourished Kitchen at http://nourishedkitchen.com/coconut-flour-cake/