Scandinavian Almond Cake
½ cup salted butter, melt and strain through cheese cloth (or coffee filter). Throw away milk solids and use only clarified part
1-1/4 cups sugar
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon almond extract
2/3 cup half-and-half
1-1/4 cups flour
¼ cup sliced almonds (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and line the long side of the pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
3. Mix the sugar with the egg in a bowl. Beat them together until fluffy.
4. Add the baking powder and almond extract. Mix well.
5. Add the cooled clarified butter to the sugar mix. Add half of the cream and mix it in. Add half of the flour and mix it in. Now add the rest of the cream and mix; then add the rest of the flour and mix thoroughly.
6. Put the almonds in the bottom of the loaf pan and then pour the batter over it.
7. Bake the cake for 50-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. Let the loaf pan sit on a wire rack or a cold burner for 15 minutes. Then loosen the cake from the short sides of the pan with a metal spatula or knife. Tip the cake out onto a pretty platter, and then remove the parchment paper.
9. Let cake cool and then dust the top with powdered sugar (optional).