Friday, May 9, 2008

Barbecued Chicken Pizza


Barbecued Chicken Pizza

D finally decided to take part in this blog. He picked a recipe from Rachel Ray's Cooking Rocks! 30-Minute Meals for Kids. He happens to be a pizza lover as most kids his age are. He was inspired to pull out this cookbook and dust it off after a visit from his friend J over the weekend. J's mom, Miss B, told us that he has the Rachel Ray Kids Cookbook and he has made several recipes from the book.

D is pretty brave about trying different foods. When we were out in Arizona visiting my niece M, we went out to eat and M and M (her husband) ordered rattlesnake. They said it was "in season" at the time. I guess it is a specialty in Arizona. I had no intention of eating rattlesnake or any other type of snake but D ate it. He said it tasted like chicken. In my opinion, it was gross just looking at it.

Oh, yeah I was telling you all about his pizza choice. He decided to make the Barbecued Chicken Pizza from Rachel Ray's kids cookbook. He liked the pizza except that the crust was too thick. I didn't have a store-bought pie crust in the house so I used the boxed Pampered Chef pizza dough mix. I have used this mix before and like it. The problem with it this time was that the packet is really supposed to be used to make 2 pizza crusts. I just got lazy and made one thick crust. I grew up in NYC and enjoy pizza with thick crust called Sicilian Style Pizza but D doesn't care for that. He grew up on the thin crust or hand tossed pizzas available in Maryland. We also didn't use scallions or red bell pepper because I didn't have any. I offered to let him use the green peppers that I had in the freezer but, after trying one, he decided to leave them out. D really did make this pizza himself. All I did was put it in the oven.

Barbecued Chicken Pizza!
Makes 4 servings

1 store-bought pizza crust, such as Boboli brand (12-inch)
1/2 cup barbecue sauce, any brand
2 cups chopped chicken, such as rotisserie chicken or left over roast chicken
2-1/2 shredded cheddar cheese (one 10-ounce bag, preshredded)
2 scallions, chopped
1/2 small red bell pepper, chopped

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit

Put the pizza crust on a pizza tray, large cookie sheet or baking stone. Cover with barbecue sauce, as you would pizza sauce. Top with chicken, cheese, and veggies and bake until golden and bubbly on top. 12 to 15 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces and serve.


The Creative Son

0 ADD/VIEW COMMENTS: