Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Macaroni & Cheese

I had a special request this morning for a macaroni and cheese recipe. This recipe was given to me by the friend of a friend. I always use organic low fat or skim milk but you can use any type of milk that you prefer. I have made it several times and each time it gets eaten up really quickly. I would make it more often but D does not like home-made mac & cheese. He prefers the Kraft box variety. What a heathen! Anyway, he is young and may change that opinion in a year or two. I can dream, can't I. . .

OVEN BAKED MACARONI & CHEESE


16 oz of uncooked elbow macaroni or shells
1 stick of butter
4 cups of milk
12 oz sharp cheddar (grated), reserve handful to sprinkle on top
1 tsp salt (originally it said 2 tsp but that is way too much for me)
1/4 tsp cayenne or black pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg


(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees

(2) Cook the macaroni according to package

(3) In heavy saucepan, Melt the butter, whisk in flour to make a paste.

(4) Add milk. Bring to simmer over med. heat until thickened (about 1-2 min).

(5) Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg and cheese, stir until smooth.

(6) Stir the cooked macaroni into the cheese sauce and pour into 3 quart casserole dish.

(7) Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake for 30 minutes.

(You can easily do 1/2 the recipe and use a 1-1/2 or 2 quart baking dish. I have also doubled this recipe for larger crowds) **


The Creative Cook

**This note was added by my friend's friend, not me. I agree with her, though.

0 ADD/VIEW COMMENTS: