Monday, June 15, 2009

Southwestern Recipe Week

Hey, I'm back from outerspace! I finally got the energy and time to do another post. I have had a few Southwestern recipes that I have been wanting to post. About a month ago, I went to the last Wining Women event in my neighborhood and the theme was the Southwest. The person who was hosting didn't know (until she went to the liquor store) that Maryland does not import wines from the Southwest. Instead, she chose wines from South America. They were very good wines. I don't particularly care for dry red wines but there were a few sweeter wines and several whites that I liked. She kept the food theme to the Southwestern United States so I brought a really tasty dish called Enchilada Meatballs. My niece who lives in Arizona sent the recipe to me. We ate those meatballs for dinner and I brought some to the Wining Women event. The recipe makes a lot of meatballs. They are yummy.

Enchilada Meatballs
from Taste of Home

Servings: 48

Ingredients:

2 cups crumbled corn bread
1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 pounds ground beef
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine the corn bread, 1/2 cup enchilada sauce and salt. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into 1-in. meatballs.

Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat tomato sauce and remaining enchilada sauce. Drain meatballs; place in a serving dish. Top with sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Serve with toothpicks. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.

Enjoy!

The Creative Cook

0 ADD/VIEW COMMENTS: