Thursday, July 16, 2009

Honey Tequila Lime Chicken

Last week, I spent two days taking D and his friend J back and forth to cooking camp in Frederick at The Kitchen Studio Frederick (it was an awesome camp per D and J). J's mom, Miss B and I talked quite a bit during the week. She mentioned that she had bought some turkey or chicken that was marinated in tequila lime sauce. She told me that she had mistakenly used this marinated tequila lime chicken/turkey when she made some BBQ in her crock pot. According to Miss B, her BBQ turned out great! I'm going to have to try making BBQ chicken/turkey because I always BBQ pork or beef. After hearing about the tequila lime chicken, I decided that I was in the mood to try making some. I've never had it before and it sounded like something that would be a yummy summer dish.

While researching recipes for this dish, I found out that Applebees serves a Tequila Lime Chicken dish but this is NOT a copycat recipe for their tequila lime chicken. The copycat recipe for that contains sour cream and lots of other ingredients. It didn't sound like what I was yearning for so I skipped that recipe and tried one that I found on www.recipezaar.com. All the comments for the recipe were positive. It turned out great. I cut down on the chili powder. My husband agreed that it was perfect with only two tablespoons of chili powder but D and my cousin V said they would have liked it better with more chili powder. I'll try it that way next time, maybe.



Honey Tequila Lime Chicken

By: NetDiva Amy


1 cup tequila
6 limes (1 cup juice)
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 pinch kosher salt
1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro, finely chopped
2 lbs chicken breasts or chicken thighs or fish fillets


Directions


1. Mix all ingredients, except cilantro and meat in medium sauce pan.


2. Simmer over medium heat about 15 minutes or until onions are soft but not clear.


3. Cool completely. (Instead of adding water above, I add ice cubes at this stage).


4. Place chicken in a baking pan and pour mixture over the chicken.


5. Marinade at least 1 hour, preferably over night. If the sauce doesn't completely cover the meat, turn it over half way through.


6. If baking, pour out half the liquid and cover with finely chopped cilantro.


7. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until meat is cooked through (depending on type of meat and size of pieces).


If grilling, then grill and add the cilantro after cooking.

Enjoy!

The Creative Cook

0 ADD/VIEW COMMENTS: