Saturday, November 7, 2009

Coconut Custard Pie

Does anyone eat Coconut Custard Pie besides me? I started eating it as a child. My mom used to buy it at a local bakery in Brooklyn, New York called Ebinger's. At least that is how I think it is spelled. I have done a few "copycat" cakes from that bakery. The one I did last year was the Mocha Cake. This time I am going to try replicating the Coconut Custard Pie. I have looked at many recipes but this one looks like the best. Maybe this one will remind me of the pies from Ebinger's. I sure hope so!



Coconut Custard Pie
Kathleen of Tate's Bake Shop


Ingredients:
One 9-inch pie crust
1 ½ cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
3 eggs, beaten
1 egg yolk (save white)
¾ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup unsweetened coconut chips* (large white flakes)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Measure coconut into prepared pie shell and place pie onto a sheet pan.
In a small saucepan, combine milk and cream. Heat until just starting to boil.
Remove from heat.

In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolk, sugar, salt and vanilla.
Slowly add scalded milk mixture, beating continuously, by adding a small amount, whisk, add more, whisk again, until all the milk is incorporated into the sugar mixture.

Pour egg mixture into prepared pie shell with coconut.

Bake for 15 minutes.

Lower oven temperature to 300 degrees and bake 35 more minutes.

Pie should be browning on the top and jingly, but not liquid.


The Creative Cook

0 ADD/VIEW COMMENTS: