Monday, January 18, 2010

Pumpkin Turkey Chili

When it gets chilly, I like to eat chili. I have a bunch of chili recipes to share with you this week. I have tried all of them. I did make changes where I felt necessary. My family doesn't like super-spicy chili so I reduced the amount of heat in this chili. Don't let the pumpkin put you off because it does taste really good in there. I also added a cube of bakers chocolate and a dash of cinnamon to give some interesting flavor to the chili. I got this recipe from www.seriouseats.com.

Pumpkin Turkey Chili
Serves 6

Ingredients

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chiles
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 pound ground turkey
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 (14.5 oz.) can red kidney beans
2 cups (1 14.5 oz.) can pumpkin puree
1-1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 tablespoon cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
cayenne pepper to taste (at least 3 good shakes)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
1/2 cup sour cream (optional)

Procedure

1. Heat oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.

2. Saute the onion, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, green chiles, and garlic until tender, about 10 minutes. Make room in the center of the skillet, add turkey and brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, beans and pumpkin. Season with chili powder, cumin, pepper, salt and cayenne.

3. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 20 minutes. Stir in fresh cilantro. If preferred, serve topped with Cheddar cheese and sour cream.

Enjoy!

The Creative Cook

0 ADD/VIEW COMMENTS: