Friday, July 9, 2010

Deep Chocolate Vitamuffin Copycat Recipe

I did not even know what a Vitamuffin was until I saw a post about them on Facebook by one of my cousins. She was talking about how her little boy (2 or 3 years of age) insisted on eating one of her Vitamuffins.  This was a problem because they are very expensive.  I can tell you that they range from a low of $4.19 for a box of 4 Vitatops or Vitamuffins up to a high of $5.99 for the same box!  When I saw how expensive they are, I did some searching and found this recipe pretty much all over the internet.  I don't know how the "Vita" part of the Vitamuffins have been copied in this recipe but the fiber part is clearly added with the clear fiber supplement.  I found clear fiber supplement at a local pharmacy.  I read a few reviews of this recipe that said the muffins were fairly dry and not as dense as the real Vitamuffins.  To remedy this problem, I used fat free Greek Yogurt in place of the applesauce and added a tablespoon of safflower oil.  I also used regular sugar but reduced the amount to 3/4 of a cup rather than using Splenda or some other sugar substitute.  That is just my preference.  If you like Vitamuffins or Vitatops but they are too expensive for your budget, try these with my "tweaks."

Deep Chocolate Vitamuffin Copycat Recipe

1-3/4 cups whole wheat flour (I used white wheat flour)
3 egg whites (I used egg substitute)
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup fat-free half & half
1-1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups hot water
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons clear fiber supplement plus 2 teaspoons

Directions:

1.  Spray 24 cupcake pans with cooking spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2.  Mix all dry ingredients together.

3.  Add all wet ingredients except the 1-1/2 cups hot water.

4.  Mix together both wet and dry ingredients while slowly stirring in hot water.

5.  Do not overmix.

6.  Evenly scoop batter into cupcake pans.

7.  Sprinkle each cupcake with chocolate chips.

8.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 10-12 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

9.  Let cool for 10 minutes.

0 ADD/VIEW COMMENTS: