Thursday, January 19, 2012

Carrots Vichy

This is a recipe that comes from www.food.com.  My son made Carrots Vichy while he was at a cooking camp over the holidays.  He didn't bring home the exact recipe so I did some googling and found this recipe for Carrots Vichy.  I didn't follow the recipe correctly.  I did't use boiling water because I just did not realize that they were asking me to boil the water first then add it to the pot with the carrots.  It really didn't make sense, at first.  A burning question I have is do they really want us to add the butter along with the boiling water and then cook the carrots until the water evaporates.  Are the carrots supposed to brown in the butter after the water evaporates.  I was just too confused.  I have to experiment a bit more.  They came out fine and smell good but I don't think they are exactly the same as when my son made them at camp.  


Traditionally, Carrots Vichy were made with the naturally carbonated mineral water found in the town of Vichy which is located in the center of France.  You don't have to use carbonated water to make this dish but it would be interesting to try it and see what different effect it might create.  

Carrots Vichy

The cooking time is variable for this dish.  Just cook them until they are the way you like them. 

Ingredients:

2 cups carrots or 2 cups parsnips, peeled and sliced
½ cup boiling water
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Chopped chives or parsley

Directions:

1.       Place all ingredients in a saucepan except the chives or parsley.
2.       Cook the carrots or parsnips over medium heat until the water evaporates.
3.       Permit them to brown in the butter.
4.       Serve them sprinkled with either chopped chives or parsley.

Enjoy!

0 ADD/VIEW COMMENTS: