2 sticks unsalted butter (softened)
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1-1/4 cup sour cream
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar and 1 Tbsp cinnamon mixed together for rolling*
- Cream the butter and sugar until soft about 3 to 5 minutes. Add in the vanilla. Add in the eggs one at a time and mix until each is incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cream of tartar and nutmeg.
- Add the flour mixture and the sour cream alternately to the egg-butter mixture. Start with the flour and end with the flour. Scrape the bowl occasionally.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out the muffin batter, one at a time and drop into a shallow bowl filled with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Roll the muffin around in the mixture until it is covered completely in cinnamon sugar. Place muffin into muffin tin. Depending on the size of your tins, you should get about 12 to 14 muffins. Bake the muffins for approximately 20-22 minutes in a 350 degree oven or until they are golden brown.
* The original recipe calls for 1 cup sugar and 2 Tbsp. cinnamon.
The Creative Cook