I made this Chicken Tetrazzini tonight for dinner. I split the difference and put mushrooms into half and peas into the other half to satisfy my family's food likes and dislikes (including my own).
Chicken Tetrazzini with Prosciutto and Peas
3 ounces finely chopped prosciutto
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 (6 or 7 oz.) package vermicelli pasta
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups milk
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules or paste
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
4 cups diced cooked chicken
1 (4.5 oz.) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
1 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
1/2 cup slivered almonds (optional)
1. Saute prosciutto in hot vegetable oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
3. Melt butter in dutch oven over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in milk and wine; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Whisk in bouillon, pepper and 1 cup Parmesan cheese.
4. Remove from heat; stir in diced cooked chicken, sliced mushrooms, peas, crispy prosciutto, and hot cooked pasta.
5. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish; sprinkle with slivered almonds and remaining 1 cup Parmesan cheese.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 35 minutes or until bubbly.
The Creative Cook