Friday, March 20, 2009

GOOSEBERRIES



I now know more than I ever thought I would ever know about gooseberries. I learned from my mother that they can be purchased at our local grocery store. I still don't know when they are in season but I'm sure she will tell me! My sister sent me the following information:

"The gooseberry is a small round fruit that comes in hundreds of varieties. Most plant experts suggest the earliest cultivators of gooseberry plants were in Northern Africa. However, the gooseberry is now grown widely throughout Northern Europe and in North America.

The fruit itself is usually comparable in size to blueberries. Gooseberries can be round, oblong or teardrop shaped depending upon their variety. They also come in a delightful color range, from green to red to purple. The interior flesh of the berry will match the color of the skin, but has a slightly translucent appearance.

Most liken the unripe gooseberry in taste to a sour grape. The ripened gooseberry is harder to find, but is often compared to the Muscat grape in flavor. Since it is difficult to obtain riper gooseberries, the fruit is often used with sugar in dessert recipes.

The gooseberry definitely responds well to baking and sugaring. Gooseberry tarts and pies are common. Similarly gooseberries may be added to the many baked puddings in place of raisins or currants. They also can be stewed, or used in crunches or cobblers. If one can obtain ripe gooseberries, many prefer simply eating them raw, or adding them to fruit salads. They also provide interesting texture and taste in green salads."

I am definitely going to have to look for them at the grocery store. I may not buy them but I'm going to have a good look at them so I can't say I never saw a gooseberry! Now I even know a recipe to use them in, if I want to. The name just sounds a bit weird to me. I am not sure I could eat a berry called a "gooseberry". It sounds a little like goose poop. But maybe that is just me.

I guess I should try to "think outside the box" -- the blueberry/raspberry/strawberry box that is!


Enjoy!



The Creative Cook

0 ADD/VIEW COMMENTS: