Sunday, March 20, 2011

Roasted Colcannon

I made the usual corned beef for St. Patrick's day this year.  It was great as always.  I tried something different with the vegetables.  I liked it more than the boys did.  They want me to go back to the old way next year.  I found this recipe through The FruitGuys Almanac on Facebook.  It is originally from Delilah's Farm Report.  I also found several recipes on various websites where you boil the potatoes and the cabbage and add bacon. I'm sure my boys would love that.  Hmmmm, maybe next year?

Roasted Colcannon

Ingredients:

2 cups of red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 cup of very coarsly chopped cabbage
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1-2 tablespoons butter

Preparation:

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2.  Put cubed potatoes in a large mixing bowl with the cabbage.
3.  Whisk together the olive oil, salt, pepper, and vinegar.
4.  Place on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.  Roast until tender, about 20 - 25 minutes, tossing once after 10 minutes.
5.  Transfer to a large bowl and mash with a potato masher and 1 tablespoon of butter.  Add additional butter if it seems too dry.  Taste for salt/pepper and add if necessary.

Serves 4.

Enjoy!

The Creative Cook

0 ADD/VIEW COMMENTS: