I made the usual corned beef for St. Patrick's day this year. It was great as always. I tried something different with the vegetables. I liked it more than the boys did. They want me to go back to the old way next year. I found this recipe through The FruitGuys Almanac on Facebook. It is originally from Delilah's Farm Report. I also found several recipes on various websites where you boil the potatoes and the cabbage and add bacon. I'm sure my boys would love that. Hmmmm, maybe next year?
2 cups of red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 cup of very coarsly chopped cabbage
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1-2 tablespoons butter
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Put cubed potatoes in a large mixing bowl with the cabbage.
3. Whisk together the olive oil, salt, pepper, and vinegar.
4. Place on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Roast until tender, about 20 - 25 minutes, tossing once after 10 minutes.
5. Transfer to a large bowl and mash with a potato masher and 1 tablespoon of butter. Add additional butter if it seems too dry. Taste for salt/pepper and add if necessary.
The Creative Cook