Monday, February 6, 2012

Honey Mustard Glazed Apples with Pork

I did something very out of character for me.  In fact, it was out of character for both me and my husband.  We went grocery shopping together. I can't remember the last time we did that.  It was probably over 20 years ago when we were dating or when we were first married.  No matter.  We did pretty well.  No fights or anything.  Just that my hubby saw a recipe that he tore off one of those pads in the produce section of the grocery store.  He decided that I should make it for dinner one day.  He went off and picked up some pork chops and I gathered the other necessary ingredients.  After reading the recipe more closely at home, I realized that it was telling me to use a grill.  Well, that is something else I do rarely.  I do own a grill but using it is quite another matter.  It may even be out of propane.  I can't be sure if we ever refilled it.  I just decided that I would use a stove top grill instead.  For the rub, I used a recipe for the Dove Chocolate Discoveries cocoa rub I bought from a friend who is a rep for Dove.  The chocolate and spices gave the meat a great flavor.  Try it if you can. If not, just use one of the McCormick rubs that you can buy at the grocery store.  I had never heard of Junami apples before but they are really delicious.  A bit pricey but very yummy.  


Honey Mustard Glazed Apples with Pork
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
4 boneless pork chops (about 4 ounces each)
4 Junami apples, peeled, cored and sliced ¼ inch thick
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Spice rub for pork*
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon honey
½ cup dried cranberries, if desired

Season pork chops with spice rub and let stand at room temperature while preparing apples.

Melt butter in a 10-inch skillet over low heat.  Add apple slices and sprinkle with lemon juice.  Cook apples 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and fork tender.  Stir in the cranberries.

Combine the honey and mustard in a small bowl.  Stir into the fruit and continue cooking over low heat until the fruit is glazed.

Meanwhile, prepare the grill.  Cook pork over medium high heat 8 to 10 minutes, turning once, until cooked through.  Serve with glazed apples. 

*I used Dove Cocoa Rub for these pork chops.   See below.

COCOA RUB

INGREDIENTS:

1 tablespoon mixed peppercorns (red, black, white)
1 tablespoon whole coriander
4-1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
4 tablespoons DOVE CHOCOLATE DISCOVERIES Cocoa Powder
4 tablespoons sea salt – finely ground

PREPARATION:
Over medium heat in a small saucepan, toast the peppercorns and coriander seeds for a few minutes until they begin to crackle and pop.  Remove from heat and grind to a fine powder in a spice mill or grinder.  Mix the ground pepper and coriander with remaining spices, cocoa powder and salt.  Rub onto pork, beef or chicken. 

Enjoy!

The Creative Cook

0 ADD/VIEW COMMENTS: