Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pear and Blue Cheese Salad

This recipe comes from www.allrecipes.com.  It is a delicious winter salad.  I was in the mood for something delicious and easy for Valentine's Day dinner.  I had no idea that my son would tell me that the dressing was the best he had ever eaten.  That is a true compliment.  I will definitely be making this again.  It has a sweet-tangy dressing that is a perfect partner to the green salad with pears and candied pecans.  I added some shredded chicken to make it a meal.  I did not use walnut oil because of my son's nut allergy and I kept the candied pecan as "optional".  I used olive oil instead.

Here is another idea I found on the Chaos in the Kitchen blog.  This one has a slightly different dressing and caramelizing the pear.

Pear and Blue Cheese Salad
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Servings:  6

Ingredients:


1 (10 ounce) bag mixed field greens
1/2 cup sliced red onion (optional)
1 Bosc pear, cored and sliced
1/2 cup chopped candied pecans
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese

Dressing:


1/4 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup walnut oil

Directions:

1.  Place the salad greens in a large bowl.  Add the red onion, pear, pecans, and blue cheese and toss to mix evenly.

2.  To make the dressing, place the maple syrup, vinegar, mayonnaise, brown sugar, salt, and pepper in a blender or food processor and blend thoroughly.  With the motor running, slowly pour in the walnut oil.  Blend until mixture becomes creamy, about 1 minute.  Pour over salad mixture, and toss to coat greens evenly.  Serve immediately.

Enjoy!

The Creative Cook

0 ADD/VIEW COMMENTS: