Triple Decker Meat Loaf
1 pound 92% lean ground beef
10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup chopped onion)
4 ounces bread softened in water and squeezed dry
5 ounces frozen carrots, thawed and steamed until soft (about 7 minutes)
1 pound ground chicken
½ cup sun-dried tomatoes drained of oil
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place beef in a large bowl. Add spinach, ½ cup chopped onion, 1 egg and half the softened bread. Mix well, using your hands to work spinach through the beef thoroughly.
2. Use blender or stick blender to puree the cooked carrots to a smooth paste. Divide the chicken in half, and in one bowl, mix half the chicken with the carrot puree, ¼ cup onion, 1 egg and ¼ of the softened bread. Mix very well.
3. Puree the sun-dried tomatoes, and add them to remaining chicken along with the remaining onion, 1 egg and remaining bread. Mix well.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pat the sun-dried tomato mixture into a rectangle about 10 inches long and 6 inches wide. Gently top that layer with the beef, patting it to the edges of the chicken layer below it. Top the beef with the carrot/chicken mixture, gently patting this layer to cover the beef layer.
5. Carefully start patting the loaf layers into a longer and thinner rectangle, ending with something about 12 inches long and 4 inches wide.
6. Bake meat loaf about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before slicing into 16 slices, 2 slices per serving.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup maple syrup
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
2. With an electric mixer on low, blend potatoes, slowly adding milk, about 1/4 a cup at a time. Using more or less to achieve the desired texture. Add butter and maple syrup, to taste. Blend until smooth. Serve warm.
The Creative Cook