Thursday, April 17, 2008

Grandma's Cookies Win $1 Million

That is the kind of story I like to hear!! Go grandma. Hey, if you think about it I could be a grandmother myself. But that isn't what this story is all about. I just read about a 59 year old Gaithersburg, Maryland grandmother who won the 53rd Annual Pillsbury Bake-Off this year. That is amazing. She is quoted as saying that her Double Delight Peanut Butter Cookies are crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside. She said her grown sons aged 30 and 33 both told her she had a winning recipe. What clinched it for her was that their dog couldn't get enough of them. If D wasn't allergic to peanuts, I would bake a batch right now. I love peanut butter and so does my hubby. I really want some peanut butter cookies now. I have another great peanut butter cookie recipe that was given to my by my sister's niece Melissa. She tells me she came up with this recipe on her own. She adapted it from many different recipes over the years. She should have entered the Pillsbury Bake-Off with it. Wow~ a million bucks. We could all use that kind of cash. I had no idea that a recipe could be worth $1 million bucks. Anyway, thank you Melissa. Here is her recipe:

PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

1/4 lb. butter
1 egg
1 cup creamy peanut butter (She only uses JIF)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup dark-brown sugar
1/2 cup flour

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease some cookie sheets. Cream butter and peanut butter together. Beat in the two sugars, then add the egg, the vanilla and mix well. Mix together the salt, baking soda, and flour and add to the first mixture, combining thoroughly. Arrange by teaspoonfuls on the cookie sheets, about 1 1/2 inches apart. Press each one flat with the back of a floured teaspoon. Bake about 7 minutes or until firm.

Hope you enjoy them!

Melissa

Note: You can also change them up a little taking each teaspoonful and rolling it in sugar then adding a Hershey's kiss right in the middle. I like using the cherry chocolate kisses but any kiss will do. :o]

0 ADD/VIEW COMMENTS: