Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Pesticides in Produce

I have been trying to go organic a little bit at a time. I know it is very expensive but I think it is worthwhile. I saw an interesting article in a newspaper or magazine a few weeks ago. It said that the things you should consider buying organic are certain types of produce that are commonly called the "Dirty Dozen." The dirty dozen are the following:

Peaches
Apples
Sweet Bell Peppers
Celery
Nectarines
Strawberries
Cherries
Lettuce
Grapes (imported)
Pears
Spinach
Potatoes
I am not always lucky enough to find organic versions of these produce items at my local grocery store when I shop. I do try to find organic potatoes, apples, pears and lettuce. I also often buy organic carrots and celery because they are readily available and sometimes almost the same price as non-organic ones. I am definitely going to try to buy organic berries this summer. I have also been trying to buy hormone and additive free milk and meats. I have not been lucky enough to find any really good organic cheeses in the markets near my home. At least ones that aren't super-expensive or just about to expire. It really annoys me that I can't get a gallon of organic non-fat milk. I have to buy two half gallons which is much more expensive. Every time I look at the gallons, they are only a few days away from their expiration date.

I am sorry to report that Horizon Organic used to have a farm in Annapolis, Maryland but they closed it after only a few years.

On a brighter note, the produce that you can buy non-organic (has the least amount of pesticides) are the following:

Onions
Avocado
Sweet Corn (frozen)
Pineapples
Mango
Sweet Peas (frozen)
Asparagus
Kiwi
Bananas
Cabbage
Broccoli
Eggplant
This does make some sense to me because most of the produce with lower pesticide levels have thicker skins. The ones that really don't make sense are the broccoli and the asparagus. Maybe they are less prone to pests than the others and don't get sprayed as much? I don't know. I am not going completely organic or anything but I am trying to buy healthier foods. Good luck!

The Creative Cook

0 ADD/VIEW COMMENTS: