First things, first. Do you use canned pumpkin when you make a pumpkin dish? I have never seen a "pie" pumpkin in a grocery store but I haven't really looked that hard.This recipe looks yummy!
PUMPKIN BLACK BEAN BAKE
Prep: 30 min.
Bake: 20 min.
Oven: 400 degrees F
1 lb ground beef
2 cups ½ inch pieces peeled pie pumpkin or winter squash
1 medium onion , coarsely chopped
1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
1 4-oz can diced green chilies
½ tsp. salt
½ cup lower-sodium beef broth
1 3-oz pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 8-1/2 –oz pkg. corn muffin mix
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup Pumpkin Puree, recipe below or canned pumpkin
Jalapeno-Olive Relish (optional), recipe below
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large skillet cook ground beef, pumpkin, and onion over medium heat until meat is browned and onion tender, breaking up ground beef with spoon; drain fat. Stir in black beans, corn, chilies, and salt. Heat through. Stir in broth and cream cheese until blended. Transfer mixture to 2-1/2 quart baking dish.
2. In medium bowl stir together corn muffin mix, egg, milk, and Pumpkin Puree until just combined. Spoon over beef mixture.
3. Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into topper comes out clean. Serve with Jalapeno-Olive Relish.
JALAPENO-OLIVE RELISH: In a small bowl combine ¼ cup halved pitted green olives; 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers,* sliced; 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered; and 1 to 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro. SERVES 6
*Hot chile peppers contain oils that can burn skin and eyes. When working with them, wear plastic or rubber gloves.
Makes 5 Cups Puree
COOK: 1 hour
OVEN: 375 degrees F
2 3-1/2 lb. pie pumpkins
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut pumpkins in 5 x 5 inch pieces. Remove seeds and strings. Arrange pieces in single layer, skin side up, in a foil-lined baking pan.
2. Bake, covered, 1 hour or until tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop pulp from rind. Place pulp in blender or food processor.
3. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Transfer to freezer bags. Store in refrigerator up to 3 days or freeze up to 6 months. Thaw in refrigerator to use.
All recipes are from Better Homes & Gardens, October 2009