Here is another recipe for slice and bake cookies. I tried them early this time so I could decide if I want to make them for my Cookie Exchange in December. I liked these cookies but next time I would use dried cherries rather than maraschino cherries. I thought that the cookies were too soft and crumbly with the maraschino cherries. This recipe comes from the Mr. Food website.
Cherry Ice Box Cookies
Makes 48 cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (16 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained and finely chopped (dried cherries)
1 cup finely chopped nuts
1/4 cup red decorator sugar (optional)
1. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating well. Add egg and vanilla, beating well.
2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture, beating well. Pat cherries between paper towels to remove excess moisture. Stir cherries and nuts into dough; cover dough, and chill 2 hours.
3. Shape dough into 2 (1-1/2 inch by 8-inch) logs. Roll in decorator sugar, if desired. Wrap logs in wax paper and freeze 2 hours or until firm. (Store in freezer up to 6 months, if desired.)
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Unwrap frozen dough and slice into 1/4 inch thick slices, using a sharp knife. Place on lightly greased cookie sheets. (Do not let thaw.)
5. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool 1 minute on cookie sheets. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
The Creative Cook