Sunday, January 4, 2009

OVERNIGHT APPLE-CINNAMON OATMEAL

After making this oatmeal, I found out that my husband isn't particularly fond of oatmeal. Am I the only person who likes oatmeal? I don't know but I doubt it. This oatmeal is easy and really tasty. It is pretty healthy. I'm going to try to eat healthier in the new year. I am also going to try exercising regularly, too. My only New Year's Resolution for 2009 is to get a check up from my doctor. I always go for my annual gyn exam but rarely get a full check up from the internist. It is about time that I do it. I always want to lose weight but if I try to resolve to do it I never will. Last year, I lost about 10 pounds with all my illnesses. That is a really bad way to lose weight. Usually, when I lose weight that way I gain it right back. This time I have managed to keep a few pounds off. Anyway, try this oatmeal because it is tasty.

OVERNIGHT APPLE-CINNAMON OATMEAL

MAKES 8 Servings
Prep: 15 Minutes


Ingredients:

4 cups water
1-1/2 cups apple juice
1 cup steel-cut oats
1/2 cup regular barley (not quick cooking)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger or 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup coursely chopped pecans, toasted
2 medium apples, coursely chopped
Honey (optional)
fat-free milk

Directions

1. Line a 3-1/2 or 4-Quart slow cooker with a disposable slow-cooker liner. In slow cooker, combine water, apple juice, oats, barley, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.

2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours. Before serving, stir in brown sugar. Top with pecans and apples. Serve with honey and milk. Makes 8 servings.

I didn't use any pecans in the hopes that D would try the oatmeal. It didn't work so next time I'll try this recipe with the pecans.

Enjoy!

The Creative Cook

0 ADD/VIEW COMMENTS: