Monday, January 12, 2009

Rum Balls

I may have mentioned (in fact, I'm sure I did) that I attended a cookie exchange last year right before Christmas at a friend's house. I was actually invited to two exchanges but I couldn't do both. I made the Chocolate Ribbon Cookies and brought 3 dozen of them with me. I received in return a bunch of awesome cookies. We ate them all at our December 26 get together. The ones that everyone made a particularly big fuss over were the Rum Balls. I asked my friend to give me the recipe. I am planning to make them this week to take to a Wining Women event on Friday night. I also promised D that I would make half of them non-alcoholic so he could try them. I doubt that there is very much of a chance he will like them but I will try. I also have to leave out the walnuts because of his nut allergy. I don't think he is going to have a reaction to the walnuts but he really doesn't like them and I don't want to take a chance.

RUM BALLS

2-1/2 cups crushed vanilla wafers
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
3/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup rum (any type is fine)
2-3 tablespoons dark corn syrup

Mix all ingredients, roll or scoop into balls about 1/2 inch, roll balls in more confectioners' sugar. Let set for 4 to 5 hours. I am not sure how many Rum Balls this recipe will make but I'll find out soon enough. I guess it really depends on how big I make them. Enjoy!

For the non-alcoholic ones I am either going to use a tablespoon or two of rum flavoring and the rest water to make up the 1/3 cup rum or orange juice and orange zest. I saw recipes using both to make rum balls non-alcoholic. I have been told that if I use orange juice I should keep the "Rum Balls" in the refrigerator; otherwise they can stay out of the fridge in an airtight container. I will also need to increase the amount of vanilla wafers to make up for the missing walnuts in the non-alcoholic portion. I am thinking about using almonds instead of walnuts in the other half. I will post something later in the week to let you know how this works out.

The Creative Cook

0 ADD/VIEW COMMENTS: