Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Root Beer Pulled Pork

This is not exactly my own recipe.  I combined two recipes (again) that I like.  The first I got from the Baltimore Sun newspaper probably at least fifteen years ago.  I used it many times and then I put it away.  I have since lost it somewhere.  It still appears in my brain, though.  I also remember people liking it very much.  I found a similar recipe on www.allrecipes.com but it did not use the root beer extract that I would not have in my cupboard for any other reason.  That is how I know that I used it in the original root beer pulled pork that I used to make. I added a few ingredients of my own.  This recipe is really easy to make and quite delicious.  Don't be put off by the root beer. As the recipe states, "using root beer to season slow cooked pork tenderloin makes a novel yet tasty method guarantee to win applause."


Root Beer Pulled Pork
Prep Time:  8 hours

Ingredients:

1 (2 pound) pork tenderloin
1 (16 fluid ounce) bottle root beer
2 teaspoons root beer extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups onions, chopped
1 (18 ounce) bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce
8 hamburger buns, split and lightly toasted

Directions:

1.  Place the onions into a slow cooker, put the pork tenderloin on top of the onions;
2.  Pour the root beer, root beer extract and vanilla over the meat.
3.  Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or until the pork shreds easily.  Note:  the actual length of time may vary to individual slow cookers.
4.  Drain well.  Stir in barbecue sauce.
5.  Serve over hamburger buns.

Enjoy!

0 ADD/VIEW COMMENTS: