Sunday, September 23, 2012

Milk & Honey Bread

Milk & Honey Bread

Milk & Honey Bread

I just got a bread maker.  It isn't a new bread maker but it is new to me.  It is an Oster ExpressBake Bread Maker Model #5838.  Therefore, I'm learning how to use it.  The first thing I did was bake a loaf of basic white bread that came out great except it sank.  I was disappointed so I decided to stay up late (for me) and make another loaf before I went to bed.  I tried this Milk & Honey Bread recipe.  It came out perfectly except that it was a little dark.  Next time I make it, I will try it on the "light" setting.  I found out that you shouldn't use quick rise yeast when you bake bread in a bread maker.  If you do, you should use a bit less of the yeast.  I also learned that all your ingredients, and I do mean all your ingredients must be room temperature or use a cooking thermometer to make sure they are whatever temperature suggested in the recipe.  The next trick is to let the dough knead and mix in the machine for about 10 minutes, then open the lid and touch the dough.  If it is moist and firm but does not stick to your finger, it is perfect.  Otherwise, if it is too sticky add one tablespoon of flour then let it mix for a minute and check again. If it is too dry, then add a bit of water or mist the dough with water.  I used King Arthur All-Purpose Flour which worked fine but in the future I will use bread flour.


Milk & Honey Bread
Makes 1 Loaf

Ingredients:


  • 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk (room temperature-let stand 20 minutes on counter)
  • 3 tablespoons honey (room temperature)
  • 3 tablespoon melted butter (room temperature)
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
Preparation:


  1. Add ingredients to the bread machine pan in the order recommended by your bread machine manufacturer.
  2. Use Basic and Medium crust setting.
Enjoy!

The Creative Cook

0 ADD/VIEW COMMENTS: