Monday, March 17, 2008

Amazing Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

This is my "go to" recipe for chocolate chip cookies. Everyone loves them. I got the recipe over 10 years ago in an Urban Legend email forwarded to me from a friend. It was one of those recipes that said someone was spreading it around because she had asked for the cookie recipe at Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus and was charged $250 for it. Well, that email turned out to be a hoax but this recipe turned me into the best oatmeal chocolate chip cookie baker in my little corner of Maryland. Okay, I improved on the original recipe a bit but not much. I know you'll love them even if you don't like oatmeal chocolate chips. I say that because people have been telling me how good they are ever since I made the first batch of these babies over 10 years ago. The secret is in putting the oatmeal in the blender and blending it into a fine powder. The recipe makes a HUGE batch of cookies but this has never been a problem. They go fast!

OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHIPS

2 cups butter
4 cups flour
5 cups blended oatmeal**
2 cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
24 oz chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

**Measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder.
Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Add chocolate chips. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies! (really)

You can also add your choice of chopped nuts or a grated 8 oz Hershey bar if you desire. In my opinion, adding anything else would be overkill. Make sure your baking powder hasn't expired. I used expired baking powder in this recipe once and the cookies came out flat. That was the only time this recipe let me down. It was my own fault for not checking the expiration date on my baking powder, though.

The Creative Cook

0 ADD/VIEW COMMENTS: