Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Muffins & Stuff


When I started this blog two weeks ago, I promised to make posts about successful attempts at cooking and baking as well as unsuccessful ones. Well, last weekend I had a couple of successes and one attempt at a recipe that was less than successful. I'll start with the best one first. I made a recipe from one of my cookbooks called Breakfast All Day by Edon Waycott. I haven't tried many of the recipes in this book but am I ever glad I tried this one. It is a recipe that my son didn't even want me to consider making but I went ahead and made it anyway. These muffins are so yummy! I caught my husband sneaking one last night and I just ate the last one right before I started this post. The recipe is

Chocolate Buttermilk Muffins

3 ozs unsweetened chocolate
6 tbs (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch process
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2/3 cup dried cherries
Powdered sugar for garnish

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees farenheit. Line 8 muffin cups with paper liners.

In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate and butter with the buttermilk. Set aside.

In the bowl of a mixer, beat the egg, vanilla, and sugar until light. Dissolve the baking soda in 1/4 cup of boiling water and add to the egg mixture, along with the chocolate. Mix until well combined. Ad the flour, cocoa, and baking powder and mix just until incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips and cherries.

Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin cups and fill to the rim. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until the centers are firm when lightly pressed with a finger or a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Dust the tops heavily with powdered sugar before serving. Makes 8 muffins.

I took these muffins out of the oven after 15 minutes. I inserted a toothpick into the center of one of the muffins and it came out chocolatey. I forgot that there are chocolate chips in these muffins. When I tried to put them back into the oven I had what I like to call a "muffin disaster." The muffins toppled out of the tin onto the door of my oven. I was able to save all but one muffin that got squashed. It was a sad day. Anyway, these muffins were well worth the extra work it took to clean up after the muffin disaster.

Tomorrow I will tell you about the luscious banana chocolate chip bread that I made.

The Creative Cook

0 ADD/VIEW COMMENTS: