Monday, March 24, 2008

Barbecue Sauce

I am happy to report that my niece M has agreed to do a banner for my blog. I can't wait to get something original on the blog rather than the spots that currently adorn it. It might take her some time because she is an attorney and the mom of an adorable 2 year old. She is really creative with pictures, too. I have very high hopes for my new banner and an improved look for this blog.

On a food-related note, I have been thinking about barbecue. The weather is getting nicer and soon we will be going outdoors for get-together's, picnics and weddings. A good barbecue sauce is important. I have started reading the ingredients on the store-bought varieties lately and I don't like what I've been finding in those. I decided that I needed my own home-made yummy variety. I tried a simple version that just included white vinegar, molasses and mustard. That was pretty good. In fact, I still have some sitting in my fridge. My son happens to really like that one. I thought it was a bit too thin. I found this recipe in my Moosewood Restaurant Low Fat Favorites cookbook. I adapted it a bit to my own liking. I am definitely trying it on some ribs very soon.

Barbecue Sauce

1/2 cup minced onions
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1/4 cup soy sauce (I recommend Annie Chun's organic)
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup or tomato paste (if using ketchup try organic)
1/4 cup unsweetened apple or orange juice
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
2 tablespoons molasses
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper

Combine all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Simmer in a saucepan, uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often or until thickened. Tightly sealed and refrigerated, it will keep for at least 2 weeks.

Enjoy!

The Creative Cook

0 ADD/VIEW COMMENTS: