This recipe is an interesting spin on classic gingerbread. This recipe comes from Better Homes and Gardens website.
Prep Time: 25 Min's
Total Time: 1 hr. 30 Min's.
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup full-flavor unsulphured molasses
1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan; set aside. For filling: In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium heat until smooth. Beat in granulated sugar and 1 egg until combined. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, stir together flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat butter on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, beat until combined. Beat in molasses and 1 egg. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
4. Pour about 2 cups of the batter into the prepared baking pan. Pour filling over batter in pan, spreading evenly. Spoon the remaining batter in mounds on top of filling. Using a table knife or narrow metal spatula, gently swirl the batter into the filling to marble.
5. Bake about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Cut into squares. Serve warm. Makes 9 servings.
Test Kitchen Tip: To make 1/2 cup sour milk, place 1-1/2 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1/2 cup total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.